These crispy sweet potato and zucchini scallion cakes are full of flavour, healthy and easy to make. They offer a nice blend of sweet and salty tastes with a hint of herbs. I love to top the cakes with home honey goat cheese and a smoky olive. Oh the taste is a marriage made in heaven!
I just love finding vegetarian appetizers as it usually appeals to all of your guests. This appetizer reminds me of a Korean scallion pancake.
Try these savoury little appetizers for your next party or get-together!
Is it a fritter or a pancake?
I believe this little appetizer would be a fritter although I have seen these called pancakes, or cakes before. Here are the differences between a pancake and a fritter.
- A pancake is a flat, round cake made from a batter that typically includes flour, eggs, milk, and a leavening agent (such as baking powder).
- Pancakes are cooked by pouring the batter onto a hot griddle or skillet. They are cooked on both sides until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Pancakes are often thin and soft, with a fluffy or slightly dense texture depending on the recipe. They can be sweet or savory and are commonly served as a breakfast or brunch item.
- Examples include classic buttermilk pancakes, crepes, and American-style pancakes.
- A fritter is a small, usually savory, food item that is made by coating chopped or grated ingredients in a batter and frying them until crispy.
- Fritters can be made with a variety of ingredients, such as vegetables, fruits, meats, or seafood. The batter typically includes flour, eggs, and seasonings.
- Fritters are often irregularly shaped and have a crispy exterior due to the frying process. The interior can be a combination of the main ingredient and the batter.
- Fritters are commonly served as appetizers, snacks, or sides. They can have various cultural variations and are popular in many cuisines.
In summary, the main differences between pancakes and fritters lie in their composition, cooking methods, textures, and typical uses. Pancakes are typically flat, soft, and made from a batter that’s poured onto a griddle, while fritters are small, crispy, and made from ingredients coated in batter and deep-fried.
top this! FOODIE FINDS that make a difference
Are you a foodie? Do you love to find new foods to amp up your culinary game? Well I am too! I need to speak about two of my most favourite foodie finds that I keep stocked in my kitchen and go-to them all the time!
The first find is Honey Goat Cheese. I absolutely love the taste of this goat cheese. It is sweet and salty and tastes so good on everything! I have been able to find it at Metro in Canada but am sure that it is available everywhere.
The second find is these Smoky Grilled Olives from Lebanon. They are smoky, salty and the olive taste amazingly fresh! They are so good and can be used for so many dishes. I was able to find these Olives at a Mediterranean Food Market.
These two finds make perfect toppers for this recipe for crispy sweet potato and zucchini scallion cakes. It is next level good!
2 cups shredded zucchini, squeezed
1 1/4 cup shredded sweet potatoes
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. old bay seasoning
1 tsp. agave nectar or honey
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/3 cup crumbled honey goat cheese
4 smoky grilled green olives
Mix sweet potato, zucchini, green onion, flour egg, Old Bay seasoning, agave nectar, salt and pepper all together.
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, drop heaping teaspoonfuls of mixture into the hot oil. Use the back of the spoon to flatten them into thin pancakes.
Cook turning once, until crisp and golden on each side, 5 minutes per side.
Drain on paper towels. Cool to room temperature before topping.
Top with honey goat cheese and an olive cut in half. Enjoy!
dips to serve on the side
I just love a good dip recipe! You could serve a variety of different dips with this appetizer as it is a versatile dish.
For a fresh side dip you may want to make a Homemade Tzatziki Dip.
Another wonderful dip to have in your recipe repertoire is a good Homemade Ranch Dip/Dressing. Ranch dip in my opinion makes everything taste good and always a hit in my house. There is a huge difference from store bought to homemade and I love to make a batch of Ranch dressing and use it all week!
Finally, a good Homemade Guacamole Dip is always a winner and can be served along side any appetizer in my opinion!
Click for more great Appetizer Recipes!
Crispy Sweet Potato And Zucchini-Scallion Fritter Appetizer
- 2 cups shredded zucchini squeezed
- 1 1/4 cup shredded sweet potatoes
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. old bay seasoning
- 1 tsp. agave nectar or honey
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup crumbled honey goat cheese
- 4 smoky grilled green olives
- Mix sweet potato, zucchini, green onion, flour egg, Old Bay seasoning, agave nectar, salt and pepper all together.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, drop heaping teaspoonfuls of mixture into the hot oil. Use the back of the spoon to flatten them into thin pancakes.
- Cook turning once, until crisp and golden on each side, 5 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels. Cool to room temperature before topping.
- Top with honey goat cheese and an olive cut in half. Enjoy!